Pages

Sunday, March 3, 2013

1926 Chanel

I saw this dress and thought it deserved a blog post all itself.   It certainly is a grand looking dress.

So, what do you all think?  Think it is the real deal?  If it is, wouldn't you expect it to command a great deal more than $525?  It is lovely regardless and even if it wasn't a Chanel it could still be worth this amount for a 1926 gown.  But, it does appear to be in fragile condition maybe this is why it's so cheap.  But even if the interior lining is deteriorating and the overlay is wearable, I'd still say this is a steal of a price.    I do wonder why it wasn't shown on a mannequin.  Maybe it was just to fragile?  I wonder how you could prove it to be a Chanel gown.  This would be a great dress to see in person and really study.

Can you imagine being able to wear a real deal Chanel 1920's dress?  I'd certainly feel very special.


5 comments:

  1. It's an classically beautiful, deeply elegant dress for sure, no matter if it is or isn't really Chanel. I'm not an early Chanel expert in terms of being able to identify a dress like this as being one of her's at a mere glance, but it does certainly strike me as being redolent of some of her pieces from that era. If it's not Chanel though, especially in this fragile condition, I think that price is too high (IMO).

    I wonder if the House of Chanel kept photos (and/or illustrations) of all of their garments? If so, perhaps that would be one way (assuming you could get in touch with whoever curates the archives and they were willing to help) of potentially determining if this dress really is (or isn't) Chanel.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree it would be a high price for a non designer gown. I think it would be quite difficult to reference the gown without a label. My guess is there is no label or the seller would have photographed it and it being sold on hear say. I just think it's one of those curious ebay auctions:)

      Delete
  2. Interesting problem. Maybe the silk really is deteriorating to the point that restoration would make it more expensive and less 'true' than a similar dress?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a little confused, did you purchase this?? If so, you could easily give this piece new life. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no I didn't purchase it. I was just theorizing why the price was so low for a 20's Chanel.

      Delete