Pages

Friday, March 29, 2013

The Right Color?

Here is the 1940's suit that I have been speaking about for the last couple of posts.  This suit is what I feel to be a hallmark early 1940's suit so I am a happy to present this suit, to you my dear vintage readers.   I do feel like I have to find a couple of better accessories to go with this suit.   I'd like a better hat and some dark brown gloves.  It may even be nice to explore the straw hat and clutch route.  I do feel like this outfit screams "accessorize me with a clutch" lol.

I believe that in having a vintage wardrobe I open myself up to criticism.    I guess it goes with moving away from the crowd.  We can't expect to have every outfit loved or everything we wear understood but it doesn't deter from some of the disappointments we may encounter.   

Have you ever gotten your hopes up about an outfit and had them dashed by someone else's opinion?
I'd love to hear your thoughts on this one.

I still very much like this suit but my brutally honest husband doesn't.   Does it make his opinion absolute?  No, I really can't expect him to like everything.   I was caught a little off guard as I really like the suit.  I guess it was the extremeness in him not liking it vs. me really liking it a lot that has caused my reflective state.

I think this is part of the learning lesson for me.  Do I want to stay in conformity and live in a world devoid of criticism or limit myself to compliance to others?  No, of course not.  I'd get criticism of modern day apparel too.    Of course, I would always love absolute positive feedback but it's not going to happen.   I can say as a final thought that this is a personal journey and it's about seeking inward satisfaction from what you are doing.  


Outfit details:


1940's Suit -ebay.  I'm thinking this was custom made.  I don't see a label but there are a couple of small pin pricks where a label may have been.  It's difficult to determine.  Either way, it's a very quality made suit with weights, pleats, and detailed stitching.

Bag - Surrey -I'm thinking late 30's on this one.  This bag is so cute and well made.  This was one of those items where I stroll through the pages of vintage magazines admiring the ads and seeing if I can find this brand floating around the internet.  In a future post, I'll post an image of the magazine ad I found from an early 1930's vintage Vogue from Surrey bags that got me hunting for this one.  It isn't an exact match but I then knew which brand to look for and knew it would be a quality bag.  I paid $25 shipped for this lovely bag that is barely worn.  I think what I like the most about this bag is actually the brass colored knob.  The pattern is Chinese dragons.  Interesting.

Hat - ebay purchase.  I love ostrich feathers on hats so this one was priced rather cheaply that I thought I'd give this hat a shot.  I'm okay with this hat but I'm not thrilled with it so I may end up passing it on.  I think the idea with a straw hat and clutch might be a nice idea or a brown tilt hat.

Shoes -ebay purchase around $30 I believe.

Earrings -vintage filigree

Scarf -vintage chiffon

Umbrella (brass handle) -vintage ebay- this one was interesting because it had an unclaimed baggage ticket attached to it from the early 60's.  But, I'm still thinking it was originally made in the 50's.  Isn't it funny that this umbrella hasn't been used since the early 60's?













Aren't these buttons just awesome?  I think I really need to test them to see if they are Bakelite.  I haven't done this before.   They have a heaviness about them and I'm betting they are. 












Here's the dress from the ad so you can see how the outfit had a light mustard hue to it.  It is interesting how things in person can differ when you get them just do to lighting.  Still love it either way.


19 comments:

  1. Wow what a suit! You look very elegant! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the suit looks beautiful on you. The cut and fit are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful suit and the shoes are just gorgeous.

    BTW....I found a DVF wool dress from the 70's (I know that's not really your vintage time frame but I think its cool) at a thrift store. Its so pretty and its the color of the suit above. Its just so pretty and I couldn't resist...but I can't wear it because of the wool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear you couldn't wear your dress. I hope you find a solution:)

      Delete
  4. What a suit! The cut and style are amazingly flattering. I do think the color isn't the absolute best for you, but I bet with more chocolate-y toned accessories it would play a little nicer with your skin tone. I'm not sure why your husband dislikes it so, though! It's truly fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Frances. I think if it were a bit more of a deeper color it would be better.

      Delete
  5. That suit is amazing! I totally love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that looks amazing on you! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Joanna, you look so ravishingly, timelessly beautiful and elegant in this classic 40s suit. I can't fathom anyone not stopping dead in their tracks and admiring you in this outfit. Perhaps it's the way you styled it (which I adore, please don't get me wrong) that your DH isn't a fan of. I've noticed that with chaps over the years - sometimes they're cool on a garment or outfit worn one way, but if you style it differently, they sometimes warm up surprisingly quickly. Next time you wear it, try sporting accessories in your husband's favourite hue, your hair the way he likes it best, and some extra alluring heels and I bet he'll change his tune! :)

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I put together an outfit and I love the way I look in the mirror and I'm all smiles, there is no way someone else can take that feeling away from me. I do listen to the opinion of my husband, but he is usually more specific than "I don't like it."

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a wonderful suit! Looks great on you! But perhaps it's quite a severe colour for your beautiful pale skin when the sun isn't shining. Still stunning though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emalina, I do agree that paler colors do tend to wash me out a bit:)

      Delete
  10. Terrific as usual. I love to see all your awesome suit finds!!! I would definitely love to see this suit in person. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you everyone for your kind comments. I think I will try to work with this suit a bit more and see if I can accessorize it differently. I do really love the style of this suit and the buttons are just heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I dont know about my hopes being dashed.....but when i wore a vintage cotton shirtwaist dress for the first time, my husband said i looked like a waitress. It was disappointing but i still love the 50s and 60s button up the front dresses. I think the suit is lovely, but agree that some different accessories may improve your husbands opinion

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy moly, your husband is a crazy man! I love this! How could you not love that pocket detailing and the buttons and the beautiful tailored fit of the jacket? Boys are weird. ;-)
    -Jamie
    ChatterBlossom

    ReplyDelete
  14. My boyfriend tells me that my friends and I all dress like grandma's and he truly means it. There are occasional exceptions when he thinks that I look nice or (gasp) sexy but they are few and far between. So, as you probably can imagine, I can relate to your situation with your husband. I normally tell my boyfriend that he just doesn't understand fashion and move forward with my outfit choice.

    I suppose what you have to really internalize is that someone is always going to dislike your fashion choices. That person could even be you when you thumb back through your photos. Truly, it is okay to be at odds over fashion. After all, it's just fashion.

    As for me, I absolutely love this suit on you. The fold details on the pockets and the button are beautiful. (To test the buttons, rub one really hard with your thumb and index finger to create some "heat". Take a deep inhale. Does it smell different?)


    HRF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks HRF, I still have to test the buttons but it's on my to do list. Thank you for lovely comment:)

      Delete