Pages

Saturday, May 25, 2013

A Little Bit Of Vintage Buttons In Your Life

Did I say a little bit?   I won this auction for vintage buttons.  I seriously need to learn how to test Bakelite.  I haven't done this yet but I'm betting some of these older buttons are Bakelite.  The cards on some of these buttons from the 20s or 30s are just art forms in themselves.

I'm still searching for the right blouse to make but I figured I might need some buttons too.  I'm thinking I should now have the right buttons for any blouse I make:)  The thing that I loved about this win is that all the buttons came on cards. So much better than digging through a tin.
For all these buttons I paid $35.  




Aren't some of these cards so interesting?  I think these are my favorite buttons.




Speaking of buttons.  Did you know there was actually vintage Hollywood movie star buttons know as Prevue Movie Buttons?  I think probably the actresses used these types of buttons on their clothing in the movies?





Etsy link for another Movie Star Buttons.


These ones are shaped like little red horses.













12 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I love those!! I have a button problem..I'm far too obsessed. I love the horse ones!!! Gasp!
    Kalin from Modestyismypolicy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg dreamyyyyyyyyyyyyy I LOVE buttons! My grandma had them in containers and I would look through them for hours. She was a seamstress so her buttons were her treasures. I love your collection! They are all amazing! xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great find! The illustrations at some of those cards are beautiful! Your blouse will be perfect! I can't wait to see which pattern you're going to choose!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohmygoodness!!! Love these vintage buttons. It's sad that even the buttons have more character than modern ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great collection! i own 12 poodle buttons from the 50s waiting for the right cardi.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Be still my button loving heart, what an thoroughly stellar instant collection. I love the range of colours, sizes and shapes in this wonderful group. Congrats on winning this auction (and for such an awesome price) - have tons of fun creating with your new (old) buttons.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such a good lot of buttons!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooohhh fun! I bet some are bakelite too:) You can take a paper towel with 409 on it (or simichrome, but I bet you already have some 409) and swipe it against the button. If the wet part turns mustard yellow, then there ya go.. bakelite! You can also just rub & smell for formaldehyde, or run it under hot water & smell, but the chemical test is the "for sure" way to know. Hope that helps!

    xo Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sara, it is funny you should mention Simichrome because I just placed an order for it:)

      Delete
  9. I just love your favorites! That color is really lovely and the little horsies are quite fun too!
    -Jamie
    ChatterBlossom

    ReplyDelete