Pages

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Vintage Ad To Actual 1952

If you've followed my blog for awhile, you'll know that I have a keen fondness for finding the connection with vintage fashion advertisements and the actual garment.  In some cases, I've found the exact item and in others I've recreated a similar look.   I'm fascinated by being able to find that particular slice of history and seeing it come to back to life in the modern day.






So, what's the connection today?  It's the ostrich feather hat and 50s princess coat I am wearing.  





I originally posted this ad below here in a segment on 1952 fashion.  I've seen thousands of vintage fashion advertisements and there are certain ones which linger.  This advertisement was one of them.  The hat and the coat echo 50s glamour.   I set out seeing if I could find this hat.  I found this hat on ebay and it's so remarkably close that I just wonder if it isn't from the same designer and period.   The princess coat I am wearing is velvet and not Alaska Sealskin but this coat very much reminds me of the advertisement.  This is the coat that I bought over the summer that I just had to go back and get.  This coat has a wonderful built-in tulle to create even more of an illusion of fullness in the "skirt" area.









What do you think?  Pretty darn similar to the ad!

I also wanted to share with you some other images of the black velvet princess coat taken just before the leaves started to turn bold colors this past fall photography by Will Cook.






13 comments:

  1. I really like how you recreate the ads of past era's. This is such a beuatiful look! Love your coat and hat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have the coat of my dreams! I have always wanted to have velvet vintage coat or sew the one as I have sewing pattern from 1955. You are so lucky and you look beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you find these things?! It's a skill! What a truly beautiful look, recreated to perfection by you. You're such an elegant lady. P x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you have recreated that ad perfectly and you can definitely carry off that hat. A really glamorous look!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's unreal how similar the hat is.

    You have such a good eye for those small details that bring an outfit together as it was originally intended.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your attention to detail is perpetually inspiring, dear Joanna. I love that you found such a remarkably similar white ostrich feather hat. It's a very elegant and becoming piece and one that I think could easily be worn the whole year through (I picture it with a tea length dress during the warmer months, perhaps worn to a garden party, Mother's Day brunch, or even a wedding).

    Ohhh, don't you wish scores more coats had built in under layers to help give them further volume? It's such a rare feature and really makes this velvet gem all the more special (I can completely see why you had to have it). Really, my darling friend, you look strikingly sophisticated and are a true homage to the glamour and beauty of the era.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. A perfect match! You are so talented at this! And one must have a keen eye for detail to remake such things and really your matches are amazing. xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look divinely beautiful in these pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohh Joanna you are so stunning. I meant that so seriously, you single handedly made me shift my previous attitudes regarding New Look. (That's a huge thing, truly.)

    xo Sara

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are STUNNING and amazing! THe first picture is so gorgeous and mysterious. You look exactly like the ad and cannot believe you found it on ebay. What guts to wear that hat. I wear a lot of vintage, swing dance and write vintage inspired characters in my fiction stories, but I'm not sure I have the confidence to pull of that hat. You are inspirational! So happy to find your blog :)

    ~ Tam Francis ~
    www.girlinthejitterbugdress.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you everyone for your kind comments:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I simply love your elegant style. You're quite amazing how you can find the items in these vintage adds.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing. I love the black hat as well, but that first look is altogether perfect! How much fun to recreate a look you love so exactly! Well done.

    ReplyDelete